Sunday 19 December 2010

Two-state Machine!


So Winter has returned with a vengeance to North-East Scotland. I got caught in a fairly vicious snow-storm while driving home on Thursday evening. All I could see were the tail-lights in front of me, so I just had to hope that they could see the road better than I could. I'm really enjoying my new job, even though it's only temporary. At least I'm getting to do the kind of work that I wanted to do. It's only until Christmas though, so I don't know if I'll be back there in the New Year... it's in the lap of the Gods.

The image above reminds me of this T-shirt I almost bought one-time, "There are only 10 types of Computer Geek in the World, those who understand binary and those who don't". Of course, you have to understand binary to get the joke, which is sort of the whole point. Since part of my job is to teach people about binary, it really appealed to me. I was even more tempted to get myself a binary watch and I still might to be honest. Although, the ones I've seen aren't as visually appealing as I would like. I wonder if you can get a Hexadecimal watch?

I haven't been out hill-walking for a while. The weather was bad, then I hurt my back and then the weather turned bad again. Winter walking in Scotland's hills is actually a very dangerous pursuit. First off, there is a considerable avalanche risk, which kills a few walkers every Winter. Then there is the risk of falling over a cliff in white-out conditions. Also, without crampons there is a considerable risk of slipping on ice, especially if it has a thin layer of snow covering it. I banged my head and knee 2 Winters ago, near the end of a hill-walk. I was kicking myself for letting my concentration slide so close to the finish. I can't wait to get out actually, especially to get some fantastic Winter photos, but I will wait for some slightly decent conditions first.

No comments: