Saturday 22 September 2007

Who Started This?


This week's theme seems to have been "Nostalgia". I apologise for that. I wasn't necessarily feeling very nostalgic, just that I was very conscious that me prattling on about Uni all the time would ve annoying. However, after spending a whole day at Uni, the only thing I can actually think about is Uni, so be grateful for my seeming nostalgia, such as it is!

I've decided to move on to a much more serious and sobering subject today. I read in the paper how some British General was appaled about the way British soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan, are being treated. Basically, the public are not supportive of them. I don't think this would come as a surprise to anyone really. His actual words were more along the line of, "The public are not supporting our troops, in a war that they instigated". Hmmm, I don't recall instigating any war. I didn't thinkt it was a good idea at the time, since or ever will.

The suggestion that British troops are in Iraq and Afghanistan, because the British public want them there, is frankly ludicrous. I don't know anyone who wants then there, or believes they should be there. In fact, like me, many are wondering, "Why the hell are our troops there in the first place?" The fact is that our government wanted this war, despite massive public opposition. They wanted us signed up to an EU treaty, despite massive public opposition, and they will no doubt bring in ID cards, despite massive public opposition. The threat of terror is the stick with which they keep goading us. I would suggest to you, that the only reason there is any credible terrorist threat, is because British troops are in Iraq and Afghanistan. That threat is largely from homegrown terrorists, who deeply despise our military actions.

Having said all of that, British troops should not be treated harshly by the British public, they're only doing their jobs, and following orders. I'm sure most of them don't want to be there, and probably wonder just like us, what the long-term objectives are. This is clearly demonstrated by the number of soldiers quitting the forces. They're leaving in droves. This only exacerbates the situation, as our forces on the ground are becoming increasingly stretched. There's also that age old problem of knowing friend from foe. The peace-keeping role isn't what soldiers want to do, they want to see the enemy and engage them in combat. That's what keeps soldiers happy!

No comments: