Thursday 2 August 2007

Golf Smorgasborg Of Ragnarok!



The beautiful vista you see before you is Cullen Golf Course, with its wonderful beach to the left, which has attracted so many visitors over the years. Probably the most memorable visitors to Cullen beach were the Vikings who landed there in 961 with a massive invasion force led by Eric of the Bloody Axe, with perhaps another Scandinavian King, Haakon! The Scots army must have been expecting them, but literally bumped into them (allegedly near Woodend Farm, now demolished). Anyway, the Vikings were firmly routed by the Scots, who drove them back to the cliffs (off to the left of this photo) as they tried in vain to reach the beach and their boats. Very few escaped. The victory however was soured, as the Scots King, Indulph, was mortally wounded and died shortly afterwards. The entire area for a few miles West of Cullen is dotted with Cairns. No doubt memorials to fallen Scots warriors. It is doubtful that the fallen Vikings received such venerable treatment.

On this day however, another battle was fought out near Cullen beach, as my son and I went head-to-head on the Golf Course there. I haven't played since before he was born (1994) and he has been playing steady this past year. So, it would be determined erm... if I could avoid being taught a humbling lesson, really!

The course turned out to be a little more demanding than it looked and I took a while to start finding my rythmn. Pleased to say I managed a par on one hole, but unfortunately for me the lack of practice took its toll... and I went down by 4 strokes!


No comments: